Monday 11 February 2008

Revitalization

I have to say, we have let our blog become rather uncomfortably quiet over the past few months. In an effort to revitalize our efforts, I offer the following:

BYU-Hawaii Convocation, December 2007

This is the transcript of a talk given by Elder M. Russel Ballard at the graduation ceremony in December at BYU-Hawaii. In it, he encourages members of the church to use New Media, such as blogs and social networking sites to participate in the ongoing worldwide conversation about the Church. Whether or not we participate, this conversation is going to take place. And, while he focuses more on answering the questions of non-members and sharing the gospel, I find it appropriate to point out how even our own questions and answers (as we have seen in our particular conversations, for instance) are a part of the larger conversation that goes on about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I, for one, feel that encouraging understanding and faith is a noble goal of our little project. It would be a shame to see it silent. So, with that, bring it on!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I rather enjoyed reading this talk! I had heard mention of it, but I had not yet taken the time to read it.

I was impressed with Elder Ballard's lingo-- he backed up his assertion that he, and the rest of the Quorum, were rather "with the times," using such specific examples as facebook and iTunes.

I have been a part of the blogging community-- the "bloggernacle" specifically-- for about two years, and I have learned so much. I think there is so much to cultivating our own testimonies through understanding others' experiences, thoughts, and testimonies. I think being a part of the New Media, as Elder Ballard calls it, will not only help us spread the gospel but will also help us understand our own faith better.

I have more thoughts on the article, but I think I want to skim through it another time before making any more comments. Anyway, Monica, I'm glad you posted! I think we should be more active bloggers; let's use this blog to our advantage!

Monica said...

Amen to everything you said Courtney. I completely agree.