Saturday 20 January 2007

Greetings from Chicago!

Hello! My name is Kathryn. I'm a freelance writer in the Second City attempting to write a book about prominent women of faith. I grew up in Oregon, studied journalism at BYU and Northwestern University, and am currently pitching projects to the Center for Women’s Business Research and The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Alexandra and I attended the same singles branch in Chicago. Her wit and wisdom continues to inspire me--especially when it comes to buying a pair of black heels!

This blog is such a great idea, I hope to visit it more often. Elder Neal A. Maxwell said this of women: "We know so little, brothers and sisters, about the reasons for the division of duties between womanhood and manhood as well as between motherhood and priesthood. These were divinely determined in another time and another place. We are accustomed to focusing on the men of God because theirs is the priesthood and leadership line. But paralleling that authority line is a stream of righteous influence reflecting the remarkable women of God who have existed in all ages and dispensations, including our own. Greatness is not measured by coverage in column inches, either in newspapers or in the scriptures. The story of the women of God, therefore, is, for now, an untold drama within a drama."

Here's to unfolding the drama together!

2 comments:

Nancy Ross said...

I love your quote - and I'm not a big fan of quotes - but I think that it expresses how I feel about gender issues and the Church - which is that we just don't know. We don't know why women don't get the priesthood and I feel that it is not helpful to spread the whole 'women are more nurturing' argument.

Courtney said...

"I feel that it is not helpful to spread the whole 'women are more nurturing' argument."

agreed!